Making Strides offers a program for scout groups who are interested in learning about horses and horsemanship! Our program runs approximately 2-2.5 hours (depending on the number of scouts) and we learn about the following:
• Tour of the Farm and “Meet the Horses”
• Everyday care of the horse
• Equine body parts
• Safety around horses
• Grooming demonstration and then a “hands on” introduction to using a brush, currycomb and hoof pick.
• Different types of Tack. Learn what “tacking up” a horse is and learn the difference between a Western and English saddle, what a girth is for and why we use saddle pads.
• The scouts will receive an introduction to basic riding, learning skills such as mounting, dismounting, walking, stopping and turning with the help of the riding instructor.
• Lets Ride! Sit in the saddle and take hold of the reins.... The instructor will lead you on a short ride in order to get the feel of how the horse moves.
• Snack time and the day will end with a Quiz covering the information given that day. The highest score will receive a Prize!
INFO FOR TROOP LEADERS
There is a fee of $25. per scout which includes: handouts, riding time, snacks and bottles of water.
Payment is due the day of the event by either cash, check or credit card.
All parents and leaders attending must wear closed toe shoes.
Scouts who will be riding must also wear long pants and closed toe shoes. Helmets will be provided.
Our horses love their pictures taken so please bring your camera!
Parents must sign a Liability Form before their child attends the event.
For more info or questions please contact Kim at (845) 706-2847 or e-mail email@example.com
We Hope To See You Soon!!